Re: bug : file selection dialog

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 05:50:42PM -0400, P. T. Rourke wrote:
> There's legal, and there's legal but undesirable.  Spaces in filenames are
> legal in VFAT (I had not known that they were legal in EXT2, since unquoted
> they aren't legal in the console), but I would NOT use them in the name of a
> web page.
>
> Wouldn't you have to link it

> file.htm&quote;">Link</a>
>
> ?  Will that even work?

No, that probably won't work.  The use of double quotes for protecting
spaces in filenames applies to command-line shells, not URLs.

> When I've tried it, this has worked

Yes, that works.  It's also perfectly legal, if ugly.  I believe you
should also be able to use the "+" character to encode spaces in URLs.

> (I might be getting the escape character wrong), but I still wouldn't
> recommend it (for one thing, it's ugly).  For anything but a GUI file
> manager, spaces are a pain in the neck.

Well, quoting isn't THAT hard.  But I agree that it's not particularly
nice in URLs.  Mind you, long filenames can be harder to read without
the spaces!

Cheers,
	*** Xanni ***
--