RE: problems in gunzip and untar the amaya3.1 source codes under windows

> From:	T. Khajepoor [SMTP:mirzaee@fararayaneh.com]
>
> Dear Sir,
	[DJW:]  Irene's a "Madam", I think!

> I have downloaded the Amaya source code
> on a PC (Win 95), but when I try to gunzip and
> untar the file (gzip, and tar commands
> available for DOS), all my file names are

	I'd suggest that if you don't have the tools needed to
	compile Gnu tar for win32, you are far short of what
	you need to compile Amaya.

	Note that NT comes with a tool, pax, that should be able
	to handle tar files, although Win 95 may not.

	The Cygwin environment definitely includes tar and gzip
	utilities for win32.

> task. The size of the zip file is very
> comparable against the tar+gzip file.

	[DJW:]  zip files are generally bigger than tar.gz because,
	although they both use the same compression algorithm,
	.zip resets the compressor for every component of the
	archive, but with .tar.gz, the compression dictionary can
	be carried over from component to component; this is
	particularly beneficial for short source files written in
	a similar style.  Of course, if size really matters, you
	should use .tar.bz2.