Re: save by FTP

I agree that ftp put is not a high priority for the Amaya team, becuase HTTP
put is so much better. But if an outside contributor were to provide a patch,
it would make the tool more readily useable by people who don't have access
to proper servers, provide demonstrations that there are other people who
think working on Amaya is cool, and perhaps provide an expanded user base
from which further patches can come.

So I think your approach is very sound. If I am work on the patch with some
help from a friend then a useful product might be some further documentation
on the architecture of Amaya and how to work on it - what happens where.

(and to the practical:

I found a test for supported protocols that seemed to allow the inclusion of
ftp, and a PutObjectWWW function that passed back a file to be put by the
libwww library functions. It seemed that the libwww FTP functions would need
to be included as well as the core HTTP functions. I couldn't find a test for
whether there should be a PUT or a simple save - that seems to be the same
place that you would test for the possibility of doing an FTP put (based on
the URI I guess). I plan to look at it again when I have had more sleep (than
none) - it didn't seem as though it wuld be terribly complicated to do.

cheers

Charles

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 jose.kahan@w3.org wrote:

  Hello Charles,

  In our previous episode, Charles McCathieNevile said:

  > Does anyone know what parts of the source need to be changed to implement and
  > ftp save option?

  I've been making some experiments for interfacing Amaya with the libwww
  ftp module. If I'm succesful, we'll be able to read data from FTP servers.

  Re: FTP save, it should be possible to do so with libwww. However,
  we don't plan to support this feature in Amaya, as we're more concerned
  with higlighting HTTP PUT and all the cool features it has: etags,
  protection against lost commits, language negotation, ...

  Bring up your question again when we announce the FTP support and I'll be
  able to give you a more precise answer on what you'd need to patch implement
  FTP save.

  -Jose