Re: small errors in configuration/documentation

Hello John,

Thank you for your time spent criticizing the Amaya doc.

On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 12:36:47AM -0400, John Russell wrote:

> [1] setting home page
> amaya requires FULL url including http:// this is fair but
> the on-line help could have been more HELPful by noting this.
> This retired teacher knows that EXAMPLES help in readability.
> Perhaps reviewing the on-line help and adding examples to topics
> will help others as well.

Yes, it needs a full URL, or a filesystem URL, depending on whether
your home page is on-line or local. Note that we use the term home
page more in the sense of "first page that Amaya should show when
launched".

> [2] Color settings
> Using the dialog box --- will it respect all named colors
> will it accept hex codings, or decimal coding alternates.
> The help page is silent on this and once again exampleS would
> make it clear.

It accepts both named colors and RGB encoded strings. If it doesn't
find such color, it'll use the default ones. This week I'm away from
the office, so I can't send/update the doc with a more meaningful example.

> And the named colors i picked didnt even come close to rendering
> correctly -- my favorite is 'wheat' which is easy on the eyes
> but try it in Amaya --- a dithered blue ugh!

Our color palette may be wrong. I suppose you're using Windows?

> Using the pallet -- and quite an unusual one it is instead of
> the one seen in most programs --- may be a unix thing though
> i am much more familiar with windows and this one may be necessary
> for cross platform --- its a shame cuz it severely restricts one's
> choice.

Yes, it's the same for code compatiblity reasons.

> The selected colors did not display when the apply button was
> pressed... i had to exit Amaya and restart it to see effect.
> This does not foster experimentation does it.  Apply should
> apply immediately....

In the doc, it says:

"The color changes will be effective when you open a new document window or
when reloading a document." For the moment, these changes are not
visibly immediately.

> I loaded Amaya to experiment with MathMl so i expect i will
> be happier with it as there is no standard of comparison
> ie no competition....  but on standard user expected features
> there seems a ways to go ... and the documentation is about
> right for the price paid :-) :-)

Right. Unfortunately, we have very limited resources... but in one of your
follow up mails you give a suggestion... wait till I get there :)

-Jose