Re: Reunify browse and edit modes?

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>    E. E. Mellor writes:
>    >I have recently been thinking that I would like Amaya to change certain
>    >factors of its behaviour when in read-only (browsing) mode.  For example,
>    >following links and pressing buttons could be single-click actions instead
>    >of double-clicks.
>
> You are confusing two different kinds of customization.  Key and mouse
> bindings should be separate from whether or not you turn on a
> read-only mode.  It goes without saying that you should not have any
> trouble rebinding mouse clicks or other keys using the
> `amaya.keyboard' file or a front end to that file.
> Bindings are a matter of preference.

I really wish I had kept my mouth shut now :-)

It is unfair to say I was confused.  What I wanted to say was that _if_ we
had an automatic mode switch it would IMHO complement well the entirely
unrelated feature addition of mode-dependent key/mouse bindings.

We are essentially discussing separate feature additions, and as a result
beginning to talk at cross-purposes.

1)  Automatic switch from read-only to read-write mode, using criteria
outlined by Corne previously.

I think that this is a good idea.  However, if we made this feature
user-selectable, then there is no reason to debate whether or not Joe User
will find it confusing.  If they do, then they don't need to turn it on.
If Corne and I are the only two people ever to use this feature, then two
people are happier, and nobody else is worse off.

2)  User configurable mouse bindings.

I believe, as Robert mentioned, that it is currently impossible to alter
mouse bindings in a way similar to that used to alter key bindings
currently.  I think this would be a good thing to have.

3) Mode-dependent key/mouse bindings.

I would like my bindings to be mode dependent.  However, this may well add
significant complexity to Amaya, and I am not passionately attached to the
idea.  I am willing to drop the whole subject if we are going to get
swamped in an evangelical debate about how we all like our window managers
configured.

4) Initial view.  (Which type of window Amaya starts with).

This was mentioned by Corne, and should be user-configurable, IMHO.

Ewan Mellor.