RE: amaya 2.0

Thanks for the following!

On 03-May-99 Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> I noticed your email to the Amaya list (I was reading the archive,
> I don't subscribe myself).
>
> I think the reason for the discrepancy is not the one that you
> identified.  If I look up the address of www.w3.org in the DNS, then I
> get an address that resolves to w3csun1.cis.rl.ac.uk (!)

Yes, you are right. From Manchester (mcc.ac.uk):

dig -a www.w3.org -> www.w3.org.     7200    A       130.246.75.136

dig -x 130.246.75.136 -> 7200    PTR    w3csun1.cis.rl.ac.uk.

while

dig -x 18.19.1.22 ->     109044  PTR    slow1.w3.org.

which is presumably the horse's mouth.

> This server has not yet been updated.  However, the "real" www.w3.org
> is 18.29.1.22, and if you access this by number, you see Amaya 2.0
> there.

Yes, http://18.19.1.22/Amaya/User/BinDist.html gets you there.

However, this doesn't clearly explain how

a) http://www.w3.org/Distributions/... also gets you there
(unless 130.246.75.136/Distributions/... points directly
to 18.19.1.22/Distributions/...);

b) I was able, using my son's ISP and http://www.w3.org/Amaya/...,
to also get through to the right thing.

I would guess (b) must mean that the ACADEMIC DNS system points to the
rl.ac.uk site, while the COMMERCIAL DNS points to the true one.

And then I would I hazard a guess that this itself may be associated with
the academic Cache system (I notice, Alan, that you use a gla.ac.uk
address).

In any case, I don't think I approve of the same FQDN address leading to
different IP addresses depending on where you are, though I dare say it's
legal. There's too much scope for getting folk into a tangle (as I have
just found out).

Many thanks for contributing to clarification. I await the final truth
from the gurus' mouths.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>