Re: [Announcement] Amaya 2.0 public release

On 03-May-99 jose.kahan@w3.org wrote:
> Hello Ted,
>
> You must be going thru one of our mirrors or clicked on the ftp server
> links?

No, it was the UK Janet Cache (possibly the Manchester contingent since
apparently Cambridge doesn't have the problem). See below.

> The source is only on the HTTP server (I verified again before replying
> you :).
> It may take around one hour to propagate from the master server to the
> mirrors.

I was using the HTTP server. Anyway, I've found a work-round which may
help anyone else stuck up the same blind alley. I begged time on my
son's Win98 machine which uses a commercial ISP instead of the University
(which enforces caching) and got through to the right thing immediately.

For anyone who needs to know, the direct URL for The Right Thing is

   http://www.w3.org/Amaya/Distribution/amaya-LINUX-ELF-2.0.tar.gz

and this works, even over the Janet National Cache! As I said before,
the URLs given in the announcement of 2.0 lead, via the Janet cache, only
to the 1.4a version of 12 January, bacause that cache is not updated.

Many thanks, Jose, for your response and advice.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 03-May-99                                       Time: 19:39:53