needed picture format (was: Re: Amaya 1.3b)

Ian Davey wrote:

> Jim wrote:
>         >Why is PNG needed when we have gif, jpg, tif, bmp, pcx, cgm,
> eps, pdf,
>         >...?
>
>         I think PNG is intended to be the replacement format to GIF, as
> it's more efficient.
There is one better reason, all about richts, see the PNG info at the W3
homepage.

Note: the only thing we need is the capabilities to make vector oriented
pictures. The best thing I have seen in this relation is the draw
command on my old msx:

- Simple drawing commands like:
	line (x0, y0, x1, y1, [options])
	box (x0, y0, x1, y1, [options])
	circle (x, y, r, [options])
	[options] include:
	- line thickness
	- line color
	- line style (line, dashed, ...)
	- line picture (stretch, concatenate, ...)
	- fill color
	- fill style (...)
	- fill picture (tiled, centered, [see the xv application for more
options])
- Complex drawing command:
	- draw (x,y, 'plotcommands' [options])
		where plotcommands resemble plotting like go-ing up,
		down, left, right and things like pen-up and pen-down)

In the above, the x , y and other position elements are pixels or
percentages of the current box. Positive values start at the left or top
and negative numbers start from the right or bottom.

The box is a defined box like a box around a picture or a table cel. If
not in a box, just the entire page (or frame cel). If it must be on the
background or foreground should be an option and defaults to the order
in the code (first is bottom, latter is top)

Now I think of it, a special box can be the visual part of the screen:
the picture fills the brouwser window and does not scroll if the page
scrolls. On printing this one, the picture is on every page.

This can be verry hard for some easy brouwsers but that also comes with
tables and extentions like math.

Regards,
CB

--
Try not to let implementation details sneak into design documents.
Corne' Beerse					| Alcatel Telecom Nederland