Re: Alt or Meta key?

>     i486-decpc-linux-gnu, X toolkit
>     amaya-LINUX-ELF-1.2a
>
> How do I configure Alt or Meta key bindings to work?
> On my system, they work with Emacs and Netscape.

Emacs and Netscape don't take the system key binding into account, but Amaya
yes.
Perhaps on your machine the Alt key send a Meta keycode.
The Meta key doesn't exist on PC keyboards and it's often mapped on the
Alt key.
See /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config file and other key bindings defined
by your current Window manager.
The Amaya keyboard binding is executed after all these other key bindings
and there is no guaranty that the defined bindings can be applied.

> According to the documentation in
> `/usr/local/Thot/doc/amaya/Configure.html'
> I should be able to specify `Ctrl', `Alt', or `Meta'
> as a Modifier in `/usr/local/Thot/config/amaya.keyboard'.
>
> I have done this, but the keys do not work.
>
> Here are my additions to amaya.keyboard:
>
> ## Alt key bindings
>
> Alt <Key>v:	TtcPageUp()
> Alt <Key>r:	Reload()
> Alt <Key>w:	TtcCloseDocument()
> Alt <Key>x:	AmayaClose()
>

> The Alt key bindings failed, but these bindings work:
>
> Ctrl <Key>x , Ctrl <Key>v:      TtcPageUp()
> Ctrl <Key>x , Ctrl <Key>r:	Reload()
> Ctrl <Key>x , Ctrl <Key>w:	TtcCloseDocument()
> Ctrl <Key>x , Ctrl <Key>c:	AmayaClose()
>

> And, also, how does one get Amaya to reread the
> amaya.keyboard without restarting a new Amaya?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
>     Robert J. Chassell           bob@rattlesnake.com
>     Rattlesnake Enterprises      http://www.rattlesnake.com