Re: XML implementation in Amaya

> Dear Amaya developers,
>
> we (Euromath Support Center people from Bratislava) are interested in XML
> implementation in Amaya. Would you be so kind and answer us following
> questions:
>
> 1. Do you plan to implement full XML? That means implementation of (or
> including of existing) XML document compiler and DTD compiler. Not only
> implementation of particular XML applications (e.g. MathML).

	We plan to support specific XML DTDs like MathML and free XML documents
	(the XML DTD is unknown). This is not a full XML implementation.

> 2. Do you plan to extend Amaya by facility to use more fonts for display and
> printing? Not only Times, Courier, Helvetica and Symbol, but all
> (user-defined) appropriate fonts on server/machine?
> This question is related also to CSS support.

	Yes. We have added in next future Amaya release the support for ISO Latin-2.

> 3. XML assume to exploit ISO/IEC 10646 character set (with UTF-8/16 encoding)
> for character references. Thus, multilingualism is supported by XML. Do you
> plan to support this feature of XML? This also will need to define many
> different keyboard mappings and to define virtual keyboards (for Latin 1,
> Latin 2, Cyrillic, Math Symbols,...).

	It's an important development. I don't know when the work will be
	done, but of course we will start the job.

> 4. Can you give us a closer description of (proposed) XML implementation in
> Amaya from technical point of view? E.g. how you want to parse DTD (into S
> schema; resp. also T schema saving a document into DTD coincided XML form,
> or not???), which features of XML will be implemented and which will not ...

	I can only describe our plan for next 6 months:
	 - support of MathML and perhaps another interesting XML DTD (to be defined
	   very soon). In these cases, S and P schemas will be hand-written.
	 - definition of a generic S schema and its corresponding P schema
	   to match unknown XML tags in existing documents.
	 - creation of an XML parser which will allow us to build pieces of
	   documents according to one of the three XML structure (MathML, XX and
GENERIC).
	 - a piece of code which will allow us to generate XML documents. I'm not
	   sure we will use a T schema for that.

> 5. What time horizon do you have for XML implementation in Amaya? What is
> the current status of this work?

	We don't have precise plan after the next 6 months. Many things can be
	changed. For example, we hope that we will have a language to describe
	XML element layout at that time.

> Answers to all above questions are VERY IMPORTANT for us!
>
> We want to re-implement the Euromath System (SGML structural editor) into
> the Thot Library and to extend the Thot Editor. We support SGML now, and XML
> implementation placed into the "future" SW platform of Euromath is essential
> for the re-implementation process.
>
> There is of course also opportunity to extend features of Amaya and Thot
> Library. Some work on XML implementation and other functional extensions of
> Amaya can be done by our team. Of course, there is necessity to co-operate
> with you. But we need to know, what to do and how - we need to plan our work.
> That was the main reason for this e-mail.

This is a good news. We need expertise in fonts or symbols management or
DTD compilers.