[Fwd: Re: Amaya on LINUX-ELF ; startup problem]

Timothy Fossum wrote:

> I downloaded the Amaya Alpha Release 0.8b to a Linux ELF system
> (ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, stripped)
> in directory /usr/local/Amaya as suggested.  The distribution unpacked
> into about 1.7M.  When I try to execute the binary using the 'amaya'
> command in /usr/local/Amaya/bin, the script executes fine and the
> THOTDIR variable gets set properly, but the 'amayamain' program simply
> returns without (apparently) doing anything: no window, no error msgs,
> exit status 0.  Everything is set OK: $DISPLAY is fine, and ldd reports
> no missing libraries.  Please advise...
> --
> Timothy Fossum -- Computer Science and Engineering Dept. -- UW-Parkside
> 900 Wood Road -- Kenosha, WI 53144 -- fossum@cs.uwp.edu -- 414-595-2297

I had similar problem. In my case the problem was I had a "init"
in /sbin o.k., but that was a temporary symlink to init2.0 while
I was changing to upper version of Linux. I found, by luck :) ,
in reading MachineType in /usr/local/Amaya/bin .

The command in there could not 'grep' ELF because of the symlink
init. When changed to actual init program, amaya went on o.k.

Or, it may be another problem from that MachineType script.

Run it directly, if it does not echo "LINUX-ELF", look into
that script you should find out why.

If not, look into /usr/local/Amaya/bin/amaya, command, another
script, as you already know.

Good luck :)

Claude Morissette