From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, James Craig
            <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com>, Cynthia Shelly
            <cyns@microsoft.com>, Steve Faulkner
            <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "jason@jasonjgw.net"
            <jason@jasonjgw.net>, Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>,
            "jongund@illinois.edu" <jongund@illinois.edu>, "T.V Raman"
            <raman@google.com>, "w3c-wai-pf@w3.org WAI-PFWG"
            <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>,
            Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: 03/12/2014 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: Effect of role=presentation on img elements with svg

Somewhat of a tangent, but may have some relevance.

On 02/03/2014 01:24 PM,  James Craig wrote:
> In the case of accessible SVG images on OS X, the image has a rendered
> subtree, and the current version of AXImage (the AX API mapping) does
> not support descendant contents, so it’s mapped, on that platform, to
> AXGroup (a platform-specific role that is not the same as the ARIA
> “group” role).

The ARIA img role is a container:  " A container for a collection of
elements that form an image." (http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/roles#img)

Both the IA2 GRAPHIC role and the ATK/AT-SPI  IMAGE role can have
accessible children.

  Given this construct:

FF creates an a11y sub-tree with the image accessible as the root, and
with accessible descendants depending on what's inside the <div>.  FF
could (maybe already does) map the svg <image> element the same way.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/roles#img

--
;;;;joseph.

'A: After all, it isn't rocket science.'
'K: Right. It's merely computer science.'
              - J. D. Klaun -