Re: @aria-describedat at-risk in ARIA 1.1 heartbeat draft

Dominic,

First (to all) this discussion belongs on the public PF list.

Second, any specification can make suggestions via MAY that a user agent
could adopt that will help the user experience. I agree that the ARIA
specification should not make normative requirements on the UI for the
browser. This particular requirement came in from George Kerscher who is
the president of IDPF and who asked for aria-desribedat be in the ARIA
spec. for 1.1 to allow for crowd sourced descriptions as part of Diagram
project for education. See: http://diagramcenter.org/about.html

They wanted to create a digital repository for image descriptions that
could be reused in books to allow book authors to retrieve descriptions
that could be used on images. EPUB is supported by the Android Book Reader,
Google Books, and IBooks, and IPages, IBookAuthor import, etc.

The first release of the ARIA 1.1 Public Working draft simply had
aria-describedat in the spec. and you also voted to publish it:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pfwg/2013Sep/0060.html

If I had to take a position on who should determine where the use of
aria-describedat MUST change the UI appearance that should be left up to
the host language.

I hope this recaps things. The ARIA task force has not taken a stand either
way as to whether aria-describedat is at risk. I am fairly certain that the
ARIA task force would not reach consensus a normative MUST how
aria-describedat would rendered in the UI itself. UP to now we have had the
position that we would not dictate browser UI features. If a browser wants
to do that that would be up to the user agent. It is likely that EPUB
readers like Readium will likely produce a visual indication that there is
an aria-describedat in the content should it proceed to recommendation.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger