Re: ISSUE-540 -

Hi Joseph,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

The email thread starts at:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-wai-pf/2012OctDec/0071.html

The issue was raised because of a change in how Webkit was mapping
@aria-labelledby and @aria-describedby, which was possibly a little
confusing were one to expect that AXTitle was for mapping the
accessible name, and AXDescription was for accessible description,
which isn't really how it works, hence the desire to clarify.

The relevant quotes from James are:

"One of the problems with abstracting different APIs into a single
lowest-common-denominator standard is that there will always places
where there is not a 1:1 mapping. For example, AXHelp is one of the
places where it's really more like tooltip text, so in the use of
describedby on an ARIA tooltip, it's a 100% match, but in other cases,
it's not as appropriate. "

"There are other differences between APIs besides the label
differences. Maybe some of the trickier API deltas could be listed
(including this example), but I don't think 'AXTitle vs AXDescription'
needs it's own section. "

In the end, we didn't get around to addressing such differences in the
html-api-mapping document beyond the way that Firefox uses MSAA
Variant.

Yes, I would recommend that a section on differences such as these
between APIs be added to the core UAIG document as these are general
differences that would be inherited by the other mapping documents,
and so would be best placed in the core doc.

Hope this helps,

Jason