Re: Minutes: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Tue Jul 23 2013

Michael,

I am reading the minutes. I saw you seemed to not fully understand the tie
in between MSAA and extensions to it like IA2 or UIA Express or at least
not well enough to explain to the director.

Let me clarify for you:

MSAA is the first accessibility API for Windows. It was insufficient to do
Rich Internet Applications. Also, because MSAA has deficiencies different
browser providers changed their implementation of it slightly to work
around shortcomings. Also, when extensions were added to MSAA the
implementation of MSAA varied slightly to accommodate the extensions. So,
to test a "platform implementation" you must test MSAA with its extension
to meet compliance with the ARIA spec.

These are the two implementations:

1. MSAA+IA2 - MSAA based on the Windows COM (Component Object Model) based
broker model that an AT can use ask the MSAA accessibility information
from. IA2 is an extension to it. IA2 provides special Table interfaces,
relationships, extended roles and states and object attributes as an
example. This is implemented on both Firefox and Chrome.

2. MSAA+UIAExpress - This uses a slightly different implementation of MSAA
and something called UIAExpress. UIA is divided into a provider side
(application side) and a client side (AT) API. Bridging technology maps
both MSAA and UIAExpress (provider side) to a client side API. To get the
information COM provides the inter process communication transort layer for
MSAA and the bridge provides the inter process communication on the client
side to get information from the provider side implementation. It should
also be noted that Windows also bridges between MSAA and the UIA Client
side API. Unfortunately, not all information is bridged to the UIA client
side for IE. So, in order to get access to the necessary information you
will see that the mapping tables use a combination of MSAA information and
UIA Client side API interfaces to get the data.

UIA - UIA would require a full client side implementation of IE. Ideally
the provider side and client side would be full implementations of provider
and client side interfaces. Doing this, logistically, is a problem as you
would want to have assistive technologies that are fully dependent on UIA
to truly exercise it. With the exception of Narrator (which is supposed to
use all UIA but given what I have told you that is unlikely for IE), the
legacy AT vendors primarily use the DOM with some smatterings of MSAA, UIA,
and UIA Express to access IE. This stems from the fact that they have had
to support older versions of IE (IE6 for example) which only provided DOM
and MSAA support and gaps in the bridge. Consequently there are gaps in the
UIA implementation. This is why when you look at the MSAA+UIA Express
column you see a combination of MSAA and UIA Client side interfaces being
used as the normative reference to accessing the IE platform. Over time I
expect this to look more like the UIA column bridging gaps are filled.

The combination of MSAA and the extension API should be considered a single
platform implementation. MSAA can not be taken on its own and due to the
variations in its implementation it cannot be treated as a normative
platform implementation by itself.

I hope this helps.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger