Re: Using aria-haspopup to simulate hover on touch-enabled devices (Windows)

One concern I have is that hover can be used for many things, not just for menus, and if devs start implementing aria-haspopup on all elements that show hover activity, screen readers like JAWS and NVDA will be announcing "Menu" and "Submenu" everywhere.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James Craig
  To: Bryan Garaventa
  Cc: WAI XTech
  Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:04 AM
  Subject: Re: Using aria-haspopup to simulate hover on touch-enabled devices (Windows)

  It’s not in the spec, but it seems like the general idea is reasonable any within the realm of an “implementation detail.” If I’m reading it correctly, they aren’t changing the web page. They are just changing how their user interface reacts to the web page: the first tap on an element with haspopup behaves like a “mouseover” event rather than a “mousedown/mouseup/click” event.

  The worse case scenario I see is that a Windows Mobile user may have to tap twice on some things to activate them (web authors don’t usually listen for mouseover events on touch-based platforms), but that’s a usability call for Microsoft to make, not something that would be part of the ARIA spec.

  The only spec-related change I can see is that there is no clear differentiation between "haspopup on hover” versus “haspopup on click” so perhaps we should consider clarifying that in a future spec version. Thoughts?