Re: JAWS behavior with the dialog role preventing access to dialog content

Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com> wrote:
> I see these "interpretations" quite often. What lacks to me is a transparent
> and common consensus how things *should* be because the majority of users
> want this exactly so. I think you cannot get these answers easily, so this
> encourages the AT developers to code their own interpretation.

Yes, and if I am not mistaken, some screen readers don't have modes in the
relevant sense at all. Thus, any solution would be pertinent only to specific
implementations.

> What I heard is that many users are used to switch between screen reader
> modes permanently, so these defaults may or not may harm expected behaviours
> - I cannot judge on that.

If the user can change the mode then it's inconvenient but not altogether
inaccessible. I haven't used JAWS so I don't know exactly how this works, but
clearly it's less harmful if the user can exert control.