Re: suggest deprecating alertdialog role in ARIA 1.1

On Sep 12, 2012, at 12:18 AM, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie> wrote:

> HI Greg,
>> Here is a sample page demonstrating it.
>>
>> http://accessibility.oit.ncsu.edu/dev/jaws/debug/role-dialog/
>
> Interestingly neither the role="dialog" nor the role="alertdialog" are picked up by VoiceOver.
>
> James, is this a bug in VO?

My assumption is that it's not a bug, but it's difficult to tell because it's only a partial (potentially invalid) test case. The dialog has no label or labelledby relationship, and focus is not set in it based on some triggered user action. There is a major functional difference between the focus() method and a focus event, which that test case ignores.

Here's a better test case that pops open a labeled model dialog and focuses an element in the dialog, which is the intended use of these roles. As you can see, VoiceOver behaves correctly.

James