From: Matthew King [mailto:mattking@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Mittwoch, 9. November 2011 23:49
To: wai-xtech@w3.org
Subject: Bug 14320 as discussed in Re: [aapi] UAI TF Meeting Minutes, November 8, 2011

Could someone provide a link to bug 14320?

I am intensely interested in the combo box topic.

I have not found a single usable ARIA implementation. Occasionally, I find
it "possible" to use one, but that is because I have fore knowledge ...
too much of it. If the typical user were to attempt, success would be a
matter of luck.

I have been trying our example implementations with both JAWS and NVDA.

Among the worse are those that have a drop down but the focus stays in the
edit ... It's really confusing. If the user is scrolling through a list,
the focus needs to be in the list. So, I disagree with the statements in
the minutes regarding keeping DOM focus in the edit if the user is
scrolling through a list.

It would be useful to have a set of clear functional descriptions of each
type of combo we are trying to make accessible with ARIA markup. Many
different behavioral options exist. There may be some that can not be
effectively addressed at this time. We need to make sure the most common
and necessary cases are well-defined and that usable implentations
actually exist. I think this is an extremely important role.

Matt King
IBM I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
mattking@us.ibm.com

Andi Snow-Weaver/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
11/08/2011 12:57 PM

wai-xtech@w3.org
cc

Subject
[aapi] UAI TF Meeting Minutes, November 8, 2011

Minutes from today are posted here:
http://www.w3.org/2011/11/08-aapi-minutes.html

Andi