Re: longdesc spec text

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ben, Geoff, Jan, and everyone,
>
> Ben wrote [1]:
>
>> In general, I don't think these requirements should be translated into
>> MUST or SHOULD UI requirements in conforming UAs, but rather into
>> suggested UI, as I think the markup spec should be dictating semantics
>> not UI.
>
> Ben, do you think that it would be an improvement to change the user
> agent bullet for the longdesc spec text [1] to something like:
>
> "If a longdesc attribute is present...
>
> User agents should allow users to follow such description links. To
> obtain the corresponding description link, the value of the attribute
> must be resolved relative to the element. User agents are encouraged
> to  consult User Agent Accessibility Guidelines (UAAG 2.0) and its
> implementation documents to provide device independent mechanisms to
> access the description content. Since an img element may be within the
> content of an a element, the user agent's mechanism in the user
> interface for accessing the "longdesc" resource of the former must be
> different than the mechanism for accessing the href resource of the
> latter."

Not especially?

The spec language likely needs to be carefully coordinated with:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/links.html#following-hyperlinks

especially if its intended to encourage implementations such
as inline replacement, which the text above would seem to discourage.

Most of the quoted text looks like it belongs in the informative
"Rendering" section
rather than in the section describing the "img" element:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/rendering.html#links-forms-and-navigation

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis