Re: TTS from web content?

On Aug 19, 2010, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> I agree. We should have a JavaScript API for doing TTS.

There is room for Web text-to-speech in the proposal I sent to the list this morning.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2010Aug/att-0079/UserInterfaceIndependence.html#identification

interface Speech {
	// TBD, placeholder for speech-controlled user agents or assistive technology
	// may need speech.synthesis and speech.recognition; each could have name/version/engine, etc.
	// potential method: speech.synthesis.speak() to trigger TTS from web app
	// potential method: speech.recognition.updateDictionary() to capture correct pronunciation of uncommon or app-specific words
};