Re: ARIA roles added to the a element should be conforming in HTML5.

hi Ian,

 >> I agree, but developers are allowed to add behaviours and styles that
>> turn a link into a button

>Technically, they're not.

OK , but practically they are and do.

putting it another way:

developers are _able_ to add behaviours and styles that turn a link into a
button.

>> and they won't get nagged when they check the conformance of the code

>That's true, but only because it's nigh on impossible far validators to
>check this.
The reason why is immaterial, it still results in the same outcome, pseudo
widgets are created without issue, but if they add ARIA to make them
accessible they nagged about improper use of ARIA in HTML5.

If they are _able_ to do this without conformance errors it follows that
they should be able to add ARIA without conformance errors.
reducued accessibility should not be the end result of testable conformance
criteria.

regards
Stevef

2009/10/21 Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009, Steven Faulkner wrote:
> >
> > I agree, but developers are allowed to add behaviours and styles that
> > turn a link into a button
>
> Technically, they're not.
>
> > and they won't get nagged when they check the conformance of the code
>
> That's true, but only because it's nigh on impossible far validators to
> check this.
>
> --
>  Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL

with regards

Steve Faulkner
Technical Director - TPG Europe

www.paciellogroup.com | www.wat-c.org