Re: [whatwg] keyboard behaviour inside of editable area

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Alexander Surkov wrote:

> The suggestion is to treat control element as special character, i.e.
> when you move through the text by arrow keys and control element is met
> then control element should be focused and its selection should be
> changed appropriately. When control has the focus then keyboard
> behaviour is defined by control preferences with once exception. If
> particular navigation key isn't processed by control or doesn't have any
> defined action then editor rules are applied.

This seems reasonable (though I'd prefer to study it in a usability lab
before making a stronger statement), but it also seems like an
implementation detail -- there's nothing that really requires that the
user agent even support arrow keys, let alone that they work in a
particular way.

Cheers,