Re: PROPOSAL: Procedure to Promote Progress With Accessibility Issues in HTML5

John Foliot wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>  [some useful information that I will process and ponder upon - trimmed here
> for brevity]
>
> Thank you Sam for your detailed response.  One issue not addressed is:
>
>  "We have offered a concrete procedural proposal that is very real, very
> much required, and is seriously and in good-faith submitted to the working
> group and chairs as a formal request.  Deal with it as such.  Either the
> proposal has merit and should be implemented (with or without further
> discussion on *merit*), or it is without merit and will be discarded by the
> chairs."
>
> As a co-chair to the HTML WG, and as a directly addressed recipient of the
> initial Proposal, what is the status of the formal request made?  Will it be
> added to your next conference call agenda?  Will the document provided (that
> was worked on collaboratively by at least 3 independent contributors - per
> your instructions) be added to the working documents of HTML5, and will the
> requested procedural process be formally adopted?

At the moment, that document purports to describe how 10 people are
operating (at last count 8 of which are Members of the HTML Working
Group).  If you wish to format it as a W3C document, much as Maciej did
with his Design Principles document, Mike Smith will provide you with
access.

The next step would be to call for a Decision of the Working Group to
publish this document.  Generally, this takes the form of a vote.

However, I will caution you that Maciej's document is viewed as
incomplete and without the benefit of a determination of consensus, and
initially your draft would be described in similar terms.

If I sound like a web blanket, I apologize.  I will say that it is my
opinion that spending your energies on drafting concrete text for the
summary attribute or on making canvas more accessible or any number of
other technical proposals will produce something of a more lasting value
than working on a procedure proposal.  But that's just my personal
opinion.  If you wish to pursue such a document, I will see to it that
you get the support you need.

> JF

- Sam Ruby