Re: another example of HTMl 5 canvas with interactive UI elements.

Steven Faulkner wrote:
> http://tools.mozilla.com/
>
> non mouse users get a link to a html version
>   http://tools.mozilla.com/simple.html
>
> Reminds me of alternatives offered to flash content.
>
> We have the opportunity to work out how to allow developers to provide an
> accessible canvas based UI controls, before users with disabilities are
> ghettoised by the inherent inaccessibility of canvas as currently specced.

One relatively simple way to make that particular example accessible
would be to make use of an image map.  The technique could work
something like this.

Overlay the canvas with a stretched transparent image of the same size
has the canvas.  The image then needs to be associated with an image map.

For each icon represented on the canvas, an associated <area> element
needs to be created by the script with its co-ordinates set to the
position of the corresponding icon.  Appropriate alternate text is also
needed for each one.  When icons on the canvas are moved, the image map
areas need to be dynamically updated also.  With each area being
focussable, this would add support for keyboard navigation.

The image and each area element would listen for and respond to events,
such as mouse movement, clicking, and keyboard events. These events then
trigger the appropriate animation or reorganisation of the icons.

When a blurb is shown after clicking on an icon, focus would need to be
given to it so that screen readers would be made aware of and read their
content.

I may have missed some things, as I only took a brief look at the
system.  But it seems that, at least in this case, it's possible to get
creative with existing features to provide an interactive and accessible
mechanism, rather than relying on a separate alternative.  Although, in
this case, providing the alternative as a plain table as well is useful
for many users who would prefer not to use the canvas based approach.
But it would help to have the table divided into the same categories as
are available in the interactive canvas version.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/