Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

In a vast oversimplification of this issue, it might be pointed out that a
table *depicts structure* whereas the @summary="" attribute *describes* it.

Those of us who grew up blindless (usually called "sighted") learn to infer
structure from various graphical events before we learn to talk, *without
even realizing we have done so*. For us a description of structure is an
almost DUH! event, but for someone who never "saw" this is not the case. The
attempts to verbally describe structure are akin to explaining to someone
how to put on a jacket without demonstration - it can be done but it's a
clumsy undertaking. [that may be the 150 words in support of option 1]

The purpose of @summary="" is similar to that of @alt in that it is an
attempt (often futile) to capture in text what is for the vast bulk of our
diversitocracy, unnecessary verbiage concerning something that we can
recognize at a glance. Blind people in general don't get to "glance". For
this reason, anything revealing structure is inescapably valuable, including
the much-maligned longdesc.

What I'm saying is that the summary's functional effectiveness must not be
judged by how many UAs or ATs support it, but by whether it might help those
who need it. And we don't got to show no stinking badges (or examples)
because until the need arises (i.e., the table is pretty complex) we don't
know if/how it will be used. Any "substitute" for the current formation will
suffer all these same "shortcomings" and issue resolution will take forever.

I don't know if I have a "vote" but Janina has my proxy if I do.

Love.

http://www.boobam.org/webgeezermild.htm