Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

Hi Ian and Joshue,

On Jul 5, 2009, at 9:01 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Joshue,
>
> Sam asked me to work with you to draft voting text for the issue
> regarding
> how to make complex data tables more accessible.
>
> Do you have any proposed text so far?
>
> If not, what would you think of the following?:
>
>   What do you think HTML5 should say about making complex data tables
>   more accessible?
>
>    ( ) HTML5 should encourage authors to use the summary="" attribute
>        that was introduced in HTML4.
>
>    ( ) The text currently in the HTML5 spec is fine.
>        http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/tabular-data.html#table-descriptions
>
>    ( ) Something else, described below.
>
>   If you said "something else", please describe it here: [_____]

When you guys develop the wording, I'd suggest also having this as an
explicit option:

( ) The text currently in the HTML5 spec is mostly fine, but should in
addition make summary="" conforming for authors without encouraging it
over other options:
        http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/tabular-data.html#table-descriptions

I believe this represents the point of view of many Working Group
members better than the first two options, enough that it shouldn't be
just a write-in.

Regards,
Maciej