Re: Use of role="application" for flash files

I guess I don't quite understand your concern. You own your own plug-in for
flash. As long as your tools allow ARIA semantics to be used you would map
it to the designated API in your player.

Sorry for my confusion. My mind may be numbed by the Obama
inauguration. :-)

Rich Schwerdtfeger
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Matt Morgan-May
             <mattmay@adobe.co
                                       Richard
             01/19/2009 04:44          Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
             PM                        James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       Steven Faulkner
                                       <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Victor
                                       Tsaran <vtsaran@yahoo-inc.com>,
                                       "w3c-wai-pf@w3.org"
                                       <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>,
                                       "w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org"
                                       <w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org>, W3C
                                       WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Use of role="application" for
                                       flash files

First, I agree with Rich that role="application" makes sense for Flash
objects right now.

However, I can envision a point in the future where Flash Player could
itself implement ARIA. The Flex framework in particular would benefit from
ARIA role and state, as well as live regions. We already have similar
functionality in ActionScript 3. But we will need to add support for IA2 or
UIA to take that next step. My big concern here is leading UA implementers
down a path today that will keep us from doing our own ARIA implementation
in the future. What happens then? Has there already been a discussion about
ARIA-aware plugin content?

-