copy/cut-and-paste and drag'n'drop API implementations (was RE: drag'n'drop is grab'n'drop for non-visual users)

aloha, ian!

thank you -- that is certainly important information for us (and by "us"
i mean everyone) to keep in mind; personally, i have argued that the
same set of keystrokes could be reused, but the aria caucus has (to this
point) decided otherwise...

since we are dealing with implementation details of a specific function,
i think this this a point that needs coordination, not just between the
WAI and HTML WG, but in the XHTML2, WebApps, RWAB XG and other fora

chris, aaron, becky -- does modifier+M to "mark" something use the same
API as copy and paste?  if not, what API does it use and how does it
differ?  in other words, are other applications and markup languages
using copy-and-paste and drag-and-drop as programmatic synonyms, or are
others following a different path than HTML5, which maps both types of
operation to the exact same set of APIs and events?

CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net