Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

William Loughborough writes:
> By leaving out the modifying clause "however, one does wonder why the
> resistance to something so obviously benefitial is so *strong*." you have
> done David a disservice. He was clearly "wondering" about resistance and not
> trying to use bad manners.
>
> Your response is equally hard to "put up with" because it ignores a pretty
> obvious fact: there is resistance and it is strong.

The question is how to get to a good end point? Allowing ourselves to
ascribe motives to others, even if it's true, doesn't help on the
current issue, nor on the next issue. At times like this, I find it
helpful to begin my comments with phrases like, "I think," or "I
believe," or "It seems to me we're going over the same arguments again
and again."

It's elementary discourse, of course. But, we should also remind
ourselves that we're likely not the only ones who notice. Thus, stooping
to the same tactics, diminishes our cause. It does not enhance it.

I am further concerned that much of this is coming from
participants who only participate in our deliberations on list, who do
not show up on teleconferences or at face to face meetings. Surely one
would not expect a full understanding of the current situation from such
a partial view?

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;