From: Richard Schwerdtfeger [mailto:schwer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 6:15 PM
To: sailesh.panchang@deque.com
Cc: w3c-wai-pf@w3.org; wai-xtech@w3.org
Subject: RE: treegrid

Hi Sailesh,

Screen readers do not read row and column headers by default unless the are
configured to do so. It is a verbosity feature. Regardind spans, screen
readers should read rows/column headers the same as the do today for tables.

The user can always execute a say line in a screen reader. The issue with
tree grids is they may be used for mail applications and there may be a
check box in the beginning. Typically you would want to read entire line
much like they would do in a list box when you traverse the first column of
a treegrid just like for lists in Windows which have headers. ... I will
raise the point with the Freedom Scientific people though. Ultimately, it is
their UI.

Cheers and thank you for the feedback,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

Inactive hide details for "Sailesh Panchang" ---04/10/2009 10:23:39
AM--->JAWS will read the entire row when navigating up and "Sailesh
Panchang" ---04/10/2009 10:23:39 AM--->JAWS will read the entire row when
navigating up and down the left most column. We will not put this in the
BPG. This may be a

"Sailesh Panchang" <sailesh.panchang@deque.com>

04/10/2009 10:23 AM

Please respond to
<sailesh.panchang@deque.com>

Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, <wai-xtech@w3.org>,
<w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>

cc

Subject

RE: treegrid

>JAWS will read the entire row when navigating up and down the left most
column. We will not put this in the BPG.
This may be a problem. A user should be able to invoke a key (say line) to
make it speak the row. Maybe I just want to read the values in the first
column only. The behavior should be the same for reading down any column.
The list below did not address how column / row headers will be announced as
one reads cells by row / column. Also what about support for reading headers
when they occupy 2 rows or use colspan type of design?
Thanks,

Sailesh Panchang
Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
Reston VA 20191
Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)