Re: [DHTML Style Guide] Tablist: Revision of Tab proposal

Hi James,

Great question. To be clear, I don't think the method of opening a panel
should be different and didn't mean to imply that.

I think something lacking in all this discussion is an authority on what
an accordion is.  In various channels I've heard it described as one or
more of:

1. a vertical tab container
2. a tab container that allows multiple panels to be open
3. a tab container where the 'tab' is very married to the corresponding
'panel'
4. a musical instrument of questionable value

Unfortunately I think we'll have as much chance of agreeing on 1-3, as
we do on 4.  This makes discussion difficult and I think people are on
different pages. I think even if the W3C and xtech agreed on a
definition, we're still left wanting to provide semantics for all kinds
of these beasts.  I think we can go a long way with the roles 'tablist',
'tab', and 'tabpanel'... but we need to nail down the one or two blessed
keyboard interactions that can be used with either a "tabcontainer" or
an "accordion".  If we add a multiselectable property, well that will
allow us to express those tabcontainer/accordion-like widgets that allow
multiple open panels. If we want sighted and non-sighted collaboration,
well then we may to express things like the visual orientation...
perhaps an aria-alignment or something.

Also, what's happening with James Craig's proposal, and what is his
proposal?  see http://dev.aol.com/dhtml_style_guide#agenda

cheers,
David