Re: alertdialog versus dialog questions, also modal versus non-modal

Looks like my last response didn't make it through, so I'll try again.

It's a useful for a screen reader to know if the current container is an
alertdialog vs. a dialog.
Typically a dialog is not read from start to end. The title, current
focus, and probably any groupbox or pane title would be read. Otherwise
you'd get quite verbose preferences dialogs. It wouldn't be useful to read
the whole thing from start to end.

However, in many cases you don't want the user to miss the main message of
a dialog. An alertdialog is just a simple message like "Your mailbox is
full, please clean unwanted mails, Ok, button". Because the screen reader
knows it's an alertdialog is knows to read the whole thing as soon as
anything in the dialog gets focused.

There is no way currently to indicate that a dialog is modal or modeless.
I'm not sure how a sighted person figures this out, other than knowing
from context or trying to focus outside of the dialog. If someone can
state an important reason to expose that then it should be considered
after ARIA 1.0. IIRC the group has decided not to take on new properties
since we're trying to get the spec ready for last call.

- Aaron