RE: Is Flickr an Edge Case? (was Re: HTML Action Item 54)

Hello Mike,
I echo your statements and am of the same mind.

> Responding, here, as a  totally blind web content
> consumer and not as a member of the IBM Human Ability & Accessibility
> Center, you can put all of the alt tags on flickr that you desire - I'm
> still not going to visit  it because photos are inheritly visual entities.
>For the dozen or so  photos that have received thousands of views (and
> that, presumably,  resemble the news
> broadcast rather than the private telephone call), 100 or 150 characters
> of alt text is not going to make the photo any more useful to me. Are we
> next going to  suggest that all of the songs available on the web need
> closed caption so  that deaf folks can enjoy them, too?  As someone who is
> blind, I realized  a long time  ago that photography, driving, and
> painting are endeavors in which I am  simply not going to engage and I
>think it  detracts from the conversation  about the real  utility of alt to
> concentrate on what I see as, indeed, an edge case. Of
> course, I am only one person and I'm sure that many of my colleagues and
> fellow PWDs  will vehemently disagree with me.

--> Mike Squillace
IBM Human Ability and Accessibility Center
Austin, TX

W:512.823.7423
M:512.970.0066

masquill@us.ibm.com
www.ibm.com/able

Sailesh Panchang
Accessibility Services Manager (Web and Software)
Deque Systems Inc. (www.deque.com)
11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite #140,
Reston VA 20191
Phone: 703-225-0380 (ext 105)