Re: HTML Action Item 54 - ...draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include @alt on img elements.

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> [Jon] wrote:
> "Then you're using the same markup for two different semantics:"
>
> not me jon, as I said, this is what the HTML5 spec says.

Actually the current text distinguishes these three cases:

 * Images that are purely decorative

 * Images that are equivalent to other text that is already in the page,
   and that merely provides a redundant representation in another medium

 * Images that are critical to the content

If you provide a _label_ or _caption_ for a critical image, that is *not*
the content that the image conveys. Giving alt="" for a critical image
that happens to have a caption is *not* the same as the image being
totally redundant with other text on the page.

I agree with Jon that saying that you should provide alt="" for critical
images that have captions but are otherwise not described is bad for
accessibility, and I think proposing that we require that for images that
are missing alternative text would be doing a disservice for users who
need alternative text.