Re: alt - data and reason Re: One more thought...

William wrote:

> Unless you mistyped "quantitative" as "qualitative" I must disagree.
> All of us who have participated in these efforts at consensus,
> particularly the tragedy of ATAG-compliance avoidance, know full well
> that the arguments raised by the very tool designers have on the
> whole been driven by competely wrong motives.

- Quantitative research often "forces" responses or people into
categories that might not "fit" in order to make meaning.
- Qualitative research, on the other hand, sometimes focuses too
closely on individual results and fails to make connections to larger
situations or possible causes and of the results.

Research and data would be interesting to have, but what would it
prove? Either "quantitative" or "qualitative" [1] may reflect the
interests of those conducting or benefiting from the research and the
purposes for which the findings will be applied. Basing important
decisions on either has drawbacks. Criterion, methodology, etc would
be a huge bone of contention.

AUWG and UAWG folks are the experts in this area who could provide
real insight to the HTMLWG. Through PF, we have asked for their
advice: "what should an authoring or publishing tool insert, in a case
where no alt has been provided by the author, but the image is known
to be 'critical content'?" [2]

We need to wait for their answer. And we need to listen.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/siegle/research/Qualitative/qualquan.htm
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Apr/0408.html