From: wai-xtech-request@w3.org [mailto:wai-xtech-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Aaron M Leventhal
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:06 PM
To: Srinivas Annam
Cc: sailesh.panchang@deque.com; wai-xtech@w3.org; wai-xtech-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: Using title for ARIA name is impractical!

Sri, to answer the original question you had, ARIA isn't implementing title.
The title attribute is part of HTML from a long way back.
ARIA just discusses where title text fits into the general name computation
algorithm. So ARIA really has nothing to do with the tooltip.

But I thought the more interesting question was, should ARIA provide a more
convenient mechanism than aria-labelledby to provide accessible names, like
aria-name, to avoid the need for hidden labels. It's clear that the side
effect for tooltip makes it undesirable for developers. I'm just not sure
the use case of having special accessible names rendered only for
non-sighted users is that common for widgets which are not built from
images, that we need to have yet another mechanism. I was saying that
something list a chat listbox that has no label for sighted users doesn't
really need a special name. The screen reader will use the previously active
item as the name, which is all the sighted user gets as well. In most cases
we shouldn't be adding these hidden labels, IMO.

- Aaron.