RE: IE 7.0 CSS related bug related to the :focus psuedo CSS selector

Aaron,

first, happy new year J

I've reported this bug already to MS and they are aware of that ...
hopefully in IE8 it will be fixed.

I like the site

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Key-navigable_custom_DHTML_widgets

However, I have some comments regarding your recommendations for focus
visualization.

We @ SAP believe that the BROWSER itself should do the focus rendering
generally for tabindex=0 or -1 by

taking settings from the native OS for focus visualization.

It would be far more convenient for users with visual impairments to
maintain their needs for visual improvements at one central location
(that is system settings) instead of having "solutions" customized for
them in css.

These settings should be customizable by user in OS system settings and
these settings should also be reflected in Browser (although still
overridable by using :focus class :).

For instance, not everybody is willing to install a Magnifier tool that
comes with improved focus rendering (like Magic etc.), this should be
really something accessibility support in OS should be responsible for.

I thing we need some common industry technical lobbying here to get this
done ... From a user perspective it would be a horror if single
different browsers will implement their "private" solutions.

The combination Leopard/Safari already points into the right direction
but in Vista/IE7 this is currently really far from being perfect...

But back to your site: So your tips are precious and necessary, but they
basically mean the following things to me (correct me if I'm wrong)

1)     For focus rendering of tabindex=-1 in IE7: misuse css
background-color setters as a temporary workaround

2)     For focus rendering of tabindex=-1 in FF2/3: use :focus class as
a permanent solution

3)     For focus rendering of tabindex=0 in IE7 live with system focus
and in FF2/3 you CAN override it using :focus class.

BTW FF2 has a bug in focus class support, sometimes the overlay (e.g.
borders) is not visible, e.g. in case of images next to the respective
element. IN FF3 it was fixed..

- Stefan