Re: Reserved keystrokes for browsers and operating system functions

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

wai-xtech-request@w3.org wrote on 02/09/2008 02:18:33 AM:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:18:05 +0530, John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca> wrote:
>
> > Jon Gunderson wrote:
> >> Aaron,
> >> Is there a list of key combinations that ARIA (Web 2.0) applications
> >> should never use?
> >>
> >> There are already some conflicts in the best practices, in that case
> >> the best practices says the Widget should win.
>
> I'm not sure that the widget should win, actually. Changing the user
> interface locally is not exactly kind to the user, because of its
> unpredictability, poor discoverability, and difficulty to learn.
>
> >> Are these combinations going to be OS and browser specific?
>
> The reason why I suggest using the actual accesskey mechanism in HTML
> rather than directly trapping key events is that accesskey *can* be
> implemented not to clash.

This only helps if you are doing alt+xxx. If you want to trap the arrow key
to expand/collapse arrows access keys do not cut it. So, I believe author
needs control over the
browser.

I would also prefer that the access element approach be used from the XHTML
2 working
group to replace access key. It also provides a description of the key and
allows
the author to let the browser assign the key and to identify the target
event.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xhtml-access-20080107/