Re: ALT issue redux

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:19:15 +0000
To: HTML4All <list@html4all.org>
Cc: 'Al Gilman' <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org

> > Josh and I would seem to be agreed that "refuse to process
> > such a page in the browser" is justified for a critical-content image
> > that is lacking @alt.

Just to be clear, I would not want the browser to refuse to render the
page even if a critical alt is missing. That would be a situation where
the cure is worse than the disease.

> 3.  WCAG requires @alt (WCAG1) or the function that in HTML4
> is provided by @alt (WCAG2)  [editorial note -- add links]

I want the @alt to be mandatory for critical content for conformance for
WCAG 1.0 and also [insert new attribute here] for WCAG 2.0.

That puts accessibility into the right domain. Should the browser still
continue to render pages that don't conform, yes. Should authors right
better code and mark-up content in a proper way, yes. Should the browser
not render a page that is not proper or does not conform? No.

Cheers

Josh