Re: [style guide] tabpanel questions

Hi Al;

My answers below are from a user interaction perspective.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:45 AM, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org> wrote:

> Reference:
> http://dev.aol.com/dhtml_style_guide#tabpanel
>
> Q1: If the focus goes to the tab and not into the associated tabpanel, how
> does the user, from the keyboard, move the focus into the active tabpanel
> from the active tab?

Pressing Tab, and possibly Ctrl+down arrow moves focus from the tabbed
pane's Tab to the tabbed pane's content.

> Q2: The style guide presently discusses how a user would activate a
> 'delete'
> operation on a tab (and its associated tabpanel) via hotkey or context
> menu.
> Do you have a user-experience feature for how the user would discover that
> a given tab can be deleted?  Or markup/DOM/API concept?

If it has a context menu then it's hotkey, shift+F10, should apply. If it is
like the Accordion then pressing Tab would take you first to the context
menu then into the tabbed pane's content. My assumption is Tab press order
would determine its location and proper ARIA role-ing along with an obvious
button/glyph should make it discoverable. These are already concepts the DOM
and API support now.

Earl