Re: there are markup options [was: Re: img/alt summary attempt]

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Jan Richards wrote:

> I like how your message cuts to the point.
>
> If I may, I would like to replace "is important" with "CONVEYS
> INFORMATION", as in:
>
> (1) Image DOES NOT CONVEY INFORMATION, alternative text is available. (alt="")
> (2) Image CONVEYS INFORMATION, alternative text is available. (alt="...")
>
> Now, in my opinion, a missing "alt" attribute actually represents:
>
> (3-REWORDED) Image MAY OR MAY NOT CONVEY INFORMATION and alternative
> text is not available.

The case of "image does not convey information and alternative text is not
available" is non-conforming according to the current spec. I was only
listing the conforming cases.

> Now, I think there is a fourth state that I see use in representing:
>
> (4-NEW) A tool (CMS, etc.) knows that the image CONVEYS INFORMATION (e.g.
> someone uploaded it from their camera, so it's probably not a blank
> placeholder), but alternative text is not available.

That's what I meant by case 3.

> That said, I'm not sure how (4) should be represented (e.g., some have
> suggested something like alt="_none").

In the current spec, omitting alt="" altogether is how you represent this
case.

Note that we are only talking about conforming documents. In
non-conforming documents, all bets are off -- authors could say
alt="_none" for decorative images, alt="" for images that convey critical
information, alt="Save" for buttons that actually delete data, who knows.