RE: [html4all] New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

(Slightly trimmed list to reduce overload)

Julian Reschke wrote:

> In general, requiring values for things that can't always be provided
> is a bad idea. It always leads to authors making up values, which
>   makes the situation *worse* for the people depending on it.

You know, I've heard this opinion expressed numerous times, but have yet to
see any evidence at all to substantiate this claim.  Please explain in
normative and technical terms how this is "worse", else remove the claim
from the discussion.

Thank you.

JF