Re: validity and other important things Re: [html4all] New issue: IMG section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

It's a reasonable approach but I'm not sure it should be designed into spec.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>
To: "HTML4All" <list@html4all.org>
Cc: <wai-xtech@w3.org>; "Al Gilman" <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>; "Michael(tm)
Smith" <mike@w3.org>; "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>; "HTML WG"
<public-html@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 7:53 AM
Subject: validity and other important things Re: [html4all] New issue: IMG
section of HTML5 draft contradicts WCAG 1 & WCAG 2 (draft)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:21:34 +0200, Philip TAYLOR
<Philip-and-LeKhanh@royal-tunbridge-wells.org> wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
>>> Saying that such products should be
>>> programmed to output invalid HTML isn't a viable answer, either.
>>
>> Why not? Almost *every* tool I know of that produces HTML produces
>> invalid
>> HTML, so I am not sure how you determine that there is some existential
>> reason why this cannot happen.
>
> Are you serious, Charles ?  Are you really arguing that
> the generating of invalid code is an acceptable option ?

Yes. Under certain circumstances it is an acceptable option, if the choice
is between several things, none of which produce a desired outcome and
this is the one that does the least harm, and if the consequential
effects. It is even in W3C recommendations.

> If so, I would seriously suggest you move a motion to
> disolve the W3C, since it would have no role whatsoever
> in the anarchic world that you appear to be willing to
> tolerate.

Actually, I think W3C has an important role to play in the anarchic world
in which I live. I did not validity is not important. The point of my
question is that it is clearly feasible to produce invalid code without
the web grinding to a halt (since the web works despite being almost all
of the HTML on it being invalid), therefore I don't understand why it is
not possible to argue that breaking validity *may* be a reasonable
approach to a given problem.

cheers

Chaals