RE: [STYLEGUIDE] Tab Panel discussion

"Don Raikes" <don.raikes@oracle.com> wrote on 05/29/2007 06:02:27 PM:

> > There is a proposal for tab panel behavior in the wiki [1].
> > The style guide working group has discussed tab pane to some
> > extent and I believe we
> > agree that the panel would become active when the tab
> > receives focus.   I
> > updated the key behavior section with the following information:
> >
> > tab - only the active tab is in the tab order. The user
> > reaches the tabbed panel component by pressing the tab key
> > until the active tab title receives focus.
>
> How would someone using a screen reader know it is a tab, and how
> would he know what the other tabs are?

I am planning to use the Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARAI)
techniques that allow me to identify the tabs.  Using the ARIA techniques
and running with JAWS or Window-Eyes in Firefox will identify the tabs to
the user.

> > left arrow - with focus on a tab, pressing the left arrow
> > will move focus to the previous tab in the tab list and
> > activate that tab. Pressing the left arrow when the focus is
> > on the first tab in the tab list will move focus and activate
> > the last tab in the list.
> >
> > right arrow - with focus on a tab, pressing the right arrow
> > will move focus to the next tab in the tab list and activate
> > that tab. Pressing the right arrow when the focus is on the
> > last tab in the tab list will move focus to and activate the
> > first tab in the list.
> My concern with this approach is that when in Firefox or internet
> explorer, screen readers like JAWS will consume the left and right
> arrow keystrokes not allowing for switching tabs.

When you are navigating a page in Firefox with ARIA implemented, using
JAWS virtual pc cursor mode off or Window-Eyes browse mode off will allow
you to navigate using the arrow keys.

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect

IBM Emerging Internet Technologies