	From: wai-xtech-request@w3.org [mailto:wai-xtech-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Richard Schwerdtfeger
	Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 3:36 AM
	To: Al Gilman
	Cc: Becky Gibson; wai-xtech@w3.org; wai-xtech-request@w3.org
	Subject: Re: Creating a color palette

	We had this call. The color palette should be a grid with cell
navigation. Each grid cell should have an image with title text
containing a translatable color, like red, and the RGB value.

	Rich Schwerdtfeger
	Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
	blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer
	 Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>

				Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
				Sent by: wai-xtech-request@w3.org

				04/11/2007 03:40 PM

"Becky Gibson" <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>, wai-xtech@w3.org

cc

Subject

Re: Creating a color palette

	At 3:21 PM -0400 11 04 2007, Becky Gibson wrote:
	>The dojo toolkit has a color palette for selecting colors. We
are planning
	>to implement this as a rectangular image map with color blocks
organized
	>in a table layout.   Using an image map allows the actual
colors to still
	>remain visible in high contrast mode and it can be made
keyboard
	>accessible.   I am wondering how to identify this component?
There is no
	>explicit role for color picker but it seems there should be
some role
	>given to the component so the user has some idea about
navigation.   Does
	>it make sense to mark this up as a table or grid?   Although it
is only a
	>grid/table by virtue of the implementation strategy.  There is
also an
	>imggroup role but I'm not sure that makes sense either?  Does
this even
	>need an additional role beyond the image map itself?

	If you are picking colors from a discrete palette, you might
consider a
	role of 'select' since it doesn't sound as though you would let
this
	be multi-selectable.

	Al