RE: Thoughts about tooltips

Hi Becky,

Please find my comments below in your original mail.

Besides of that:

Tooltips are a true cornerstone for SAP's future accessibility concept.

FIRST STATEMENT: Originally title attribute is designed to host tooltip
strings.
It should solely remain for this purpose and explecitely designated by
W3C for this.

SECOND STATEMENT: I don't want to have describedBy to be used for the
tooltip BY ANY MEANS.

describedBy (which maps gracefully to MSAA's AccessibleDescription)
should be used for
additional control related information to the very element, namely
special purposes
not been covered yet by special role definitions, some special keyboard
useage info for that element.

Of course, also for addtional explanatory text on the screen
(for instance a combination "Label - InputField -
VisibleExplanationText",
the explanation text will be mapped to the field with describedBy)

The more roles/properties we'll get the less we will need this property
for control-related info.

This will be a design concept for the SAP ARIA libs.
Please see attached sample for an implementation example. Unzip to any
dir, then go to examples/button.xhtml.

-> Can we have multiple describedBy for a single element? THIS WOULD BE
VERY USEFUL.

By the way, this is an excellent example that the W3C reccommendations
should include
in future more requirements for the assitive settings in browsers and
definitions for screen reader features.

Best Regards,
looking forward to discuss with you,
Stefan