Re: Table with AJAX Issues

can I try out a sample?

On Apr 1, 2007, at 8:29 AM, Al Gilman wrote:

> Hi;
>
> Pointers appreciated if there's a better alias to ask this question
> on.

Good enough place to ask, IMHO.

> We have an Ajaxified HTML table that only downloads a sub-set of the
> total number of possible data sets [rows] the table could call into
> the DOM. The Ajax component is a function in a prototype table that
> gets triggered only when the user scrolls thru the table. The
> movement of the scrollbar triggers he function to downloads 5 more
> rows to one end of the table and tosses 5 rows from the opposite end
> at the same time. The end result is there is always only 10 rows
> downloaded into the DOM at one time regardless of whether the table
> actually "contains" 10, 20, 200, or 2,000,000.

The approach we have taken in the WAI-ARIA specs is as follows:

Ref: http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-state/#posinset

The 'posinset' attribute gives the position of an item in a
collection. In your table case this is the logical position of the row
in the
master table on the server. The 'setsize' attribute is the size
(number of rows) of that master table.

(the design works with 'level' as well so as to support similar
slicing [get a sub-range] of sub-collections in a hierarchical
collection.)

This means that the chunking could be adaptive based on network
performance or UI preferences, and the AT will have sufficient data
to brief the user on where the current row and slice are in the
meaningful collection.

I'm not up to date on how much of this is demonstrable yet with
running code, but it is a problem that our participants identified
as a common problem and this is the approach that we have taken
to address this use case.

Al