Re: activation / focus and users Re: Access Key

It appears that we are talking about two different (but at times
overlapping) communities of users.

(1) Accessibility
(2) Power Users

I believe that while serving (1) very often indirectly serves (2) as well,
(1) should take priority over (2) when conflicts arise, or when designing
"default behaviors".

I would assert that Charles' use of his "own case" and reference to
efficiency places his example in (2).

While I certainly understand the plea for efficiency, is there really that
much difference in efficiency between:

a) type accesskey (with modifier)
b) type accesskey (with modifier) and press return

?

As far as overuse of hands, consider that typical typist convention is to
use the right pinky finger to press the return key, and the right pinky
finger is one of the least used from a frequency of keypresses standpoint.

I concur with Jon Gunderson's point about sequentially moving the focus
among form controls/links with the same accesskey.[2]

As far as changing implementations, this is specifically why I raised this
issue as a necessary clarification to HTML4.[2]

In IE5/Mac we implemented the "activate immediately" behavior of accesskey
on hyperlinks based upon literal reading of the informative example(s) in
HTML4.

Given experience and understanding since, I think this was a mistake.

I want to change this in our next major release to "focus immediately"
behavior which will have the following advantages (raised by the
participants in this discussion):

 a) consistent behavior between IE/Mac and IE/Windows (authors like that)
 b) consistent behavior among elements (users like that)
 c) ability to gracefully handle duplicate accesskeys by rotating focus
 d) ability to have focus event handlers actually do something on links
 e) increased safety by reducing the chance of accidental link activation

The only argument/advantage that I have seen/heard for the "activate
immediately" behavior is:

 a) greater efficiency

Which I believe is not that much anyway, as explained above.

The specific errata to HTML4 that I proposed to fix this is documented in
[2].

If there is sufficient direction of opinion on this issue, would it be
possible to achieve a consensus so I that I may move forward with making
this change in our implementation in concert with that consensus?

Thanks,

Tantek

[2]
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-wg/2002JulSep/0549.html

Tantek Çelik                                         tantek@cs.stanford.edu
Tasman Development Lead, Microsoft Corporation        tantekc@microsoft.com
Representative to W3C CSS and HTML working groups