RE: XAG usage, VoiceXML

Charles said:
> The Authoring tools group asked PF to make the XAG drafts
> public in July
> 2000, specifically so they could include reference to it for
> XML editing
> tools.
>
> This strikes me as very much a question about techniques for
> Authoring tools,
> and the authoring tools group, a priori, seems like the best
> place to ask it.

+1.

> In particular it seems that the real question is how to apply
> accessibiltiy
> guidelines to VoiceXML - I suspect that WCAG should apply
> directly (although
> many individual checkpoints will of course be "not applicable"). I am
> intersted in any feedback on how important it is to reference
> XAG directly in
> developing this application - that does seem useful feedback
> for this group,
> although I would ask that it go if possible to the wai-xtech list.

I've pointed the group in the direction of XAG.

As I said, to my knowledge this is the first time that XML authoring
has come up, made more complex by the voice side.
Since the target user group for the tool includes many disability groups,
it would be a nice test case.
One concern for visually impaired users is the mix of speech from
AT and speech from VoiceXML applications, i.e. How well will the two
applications play with each other.

Regards DaveP

> Cheers
>
> Chaals
>
> On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Al Gilman wrote:
>

> >At 04:58 AM 2002-07-19, DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:
> >
> >>A question has just arisen on using XAG for an authoring
> tool for VoiceXML.
> >>Its being suggested that css be used to present an accessible view
> >>of the XML being developed.
> >>
> >>*Guessing* that its not a fancy GUI for the design of the VoiceXML,
> >>more likely a textual presentation of the developing document,
> >>looking for suggestions how this might best be presented.
> >
> >Could you possibly get the person with the question to come lurk on
> >Wednesday?
> >
> >What you have told us is the tip of the iceberg.  We would need
> >much more information about what is contemplated to give any useful
> >feedback.
> >
> >Al
> >
> >On the other hand, if 'useful' is not required...
> >
> >If they're not writing an Integrated Development Environment, why are
> >they not buying one?
> >
> >For starters, even if they don't use a full-up IDE for this,
> >they should be thinking of the whole project folder and how it can
> >be made a "Daisy book work-alike," and not just the styling of one
> >file.
> >
> >Debug is the mother of all scenarios.  If they have thought
> through how
> >they are going to accessibly debug the simulated operation of the
> >application, then they probably have the problem in hand.
> >
> >>TIA DaveP

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk